Timing and Logistics: This excursion is post-conference and is planned for 6 days/5 nights. The excursion begins in Reykjavík, Iceland on Saturday morning 16th of August 2008 and ends at Reykjavík on August 20th in the early afternoon. Participants must arrive to Keflavík airport on Friday the 15th of August. Direct flights from Oslo to Reykjavík take on average 3 hours. It is important that all participants be present on the 15th August to be picked up at the airport by the same bus. Otherwise, participants must themselves take a bus to Reykjavik. Keflavík airport is a 45 minutes drive from Reykjavík and buses are available at the airport in accordance with landings.
Climate: Icelandic weather is subject to much variation in a single day. The average temperature during August nears 10°C, similar to October conditions in continental Europe, and is comfortable for field work. Temperature can reach up to 15°-20°C but the weather could suddenly become rainy with high wind. Night frost is present, and snow could occur even in August.
Clothing and field conditions: Clothing must be appropriate to all weather and should include layered clothing with a warm rainproof overcoat, pull-over, gloves, warm trousers and warm underwear, T-shirt, hiking boots, sun-glass, hat, sun cream, swim suits and bath towel. Hiking shoes must be rainproof, covering the ankles and appropriate for long walks on rough terrain and for climbing. Most stops require a relatively easy walk, occasionally up to 2.5 km per outcrop, but one or two stops may include more difficult conditions with climbing on grassy/rocky slopes over maximum 300 m height. When raining, the slopes could be slippery. Cameras are recommended, compass and hammer are optional. Outcrops in Iceland are protected and samples cannot be taken outside of Iceland without special permission from the authorities.
Accommodation, Transport, Meals: Accommodation is in 3 star hotels both in Reykjavík and during the excursion. Rooms are with private facilities.
Group transportation from the airport and during the excursion will be by bus. Most roads to the outcrops are asphalt but a few are gravel. All outcrops to be visited can be reached by bus and portions of them by bus then by reasonable walking.
Meals during the excursion include breakfast, lunch and dinner. Further details for accommodation, transport and meals are listed below along with the fee for the excursion.
Excursion fee: The price for the excursion is €1200 based on double room, on the basis of minimum 30 participants. The maximum number of participants is 50 and the price may be changed slightly depending upon the final number of participants. The excursion fee covers the following:
- Transfer by bus from Keflavík airport to Reykjavík hotel(s) with a stop at Blue Lagoon. Note: As there will only be one group transport to the Blue Lagoon, participants must be present at the airport at a specific time to be announced at a later date when landing schedules from Oslo are confirmed for summer 2008.
- Bus transport for 5 days
- 5 nights accommodation at 3 star hotels from 15th August 2008
- 5 breakfast buffets
- 5 restaurant lunches or 4 restaurant lunches and one box-lunch the last day (depending on the schedule for return flights)
- 5 restaurant dinners
- All organisation and administration costs
Add €269 for single room accommodations.
Participants who arrive after the excursion commences will not receive a refund for those portions of the itinerary that they have missed.
The excursion fee does not include:
- The cost of travel to and from Iceland
- Coffee breaks during the excursion
- Additional overnight(s) stay from the end of excursion, i.e. from the afternoon of day 6 (20th August 2008)
- Transportation to Keflavík airport after the end of excursion on day 6 (20th August 2008)
- Personal expenses
- Incidental expenses for unscheduled activities (swimming pool, horseback riding, sauna etc.).
Booking, Payment and cancellation: The participants will register and book the excursion through the Congress main registration system. Payments will be collected on registration by Congress support, Congrex in Oslo (see 33rd IGC website for more information). The maximum number of participants is 50. However, the excursion will not take place if the number of participants is less than 30. In this case, notification of cancellation will take place in March 2008. If the excursion is scheduled, the conditions for individual cancellations are as follows:
- No charge more than 3 weeks prior to arrival.
10% charge for 2 to 3 weeks prior to arrival.
25% charge for 1 to 2 weeks prior to arrival.
50% charge for 72 hours to 1 week prior to arrival.
75% charge for 24 hours to 72 hours prior to arrival.
100% charge less than 24 hours notice or no-show.